From crop to midi : Growing my hair
If you have been with us for a while, you might know that I used to have a silver, layered crop (a bit longer than a pixie at times) and I loved it. It was my go-to look for years. During 2020, when hairdressers were closed, I inadvertently started to grow it.
At first, I was sure I would chop it off again the first moment I could, then all of a sudden I decided I would keep going and see what happens. I have mentioned before, but I always thought my hair simply ‘didn’t grow’. I was convinced that it wouldn’t grow into a bob let alone a midi, and yet here I am 2 years later*…with a silver midi-bob (not quite a bob and not quite a midi…a mob?)
*The second photo used is from last September, but I have pretty much kept it at this length since... perhaps a tiny bit longer!
There have been many times during these 2 years where I have been fleetingly tempted to cut it again, feeling frustrated with my longer fringe or new side parting, but for the most part, I love it. And I have probably had more compliments on my hair this way than ever before. Now I’m pretty much out the other side, today I thought I would share a couple of tips and discoveries that may be helpful for you if you’re contemplating growing out your pixie, switching up your style, or trying something new.
Tips and Discoveries
* It’s not always going to feel easy. The awkward inbetweeny stage was tricky. Clips were my best friend. Rome wasn’t built in a day!
* ...But if you grew out your dye, this is certainly easier.
* There will be moments when you don’t love it. My ‘tails’ (as I called them) really bugged me. They were a slightly longer part of my hair at the back that made me feel slightly mullet-y and I personally was not a fan.
* Leading me to my next point...I would suggest trimming off the ‘tails’ a.k.a the ends regularly to even out your layers, even if it feels as if it’s slowing you down.
* Add more conditioner into your routine. Shorter layers often like less condition but a light touch of Lifeshine Oil or more regular use of Luminous Conditioner helps smooth out and hydrate the longer length.
* (Try to) be patient and play around with your new look. As I have grown it, I have switched from having my trusty full fringe to a side parting, but I’m now tempted to go back to a full fringe for a while. It feels fun to have slightly more versatile hair!
I hope these are helpful. If you would like me to share more on my crop to midi (mob!) journey, do let me know. As always, if you need any advice, do reach out on Facebook or Instagram or send us an email to [email protected] and we’ll be more than happy to help you with anything you need. We would also love to hear your hair journeys, from growing out your dye or style. Get in touch!
White Hot Founder